Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Week 5 EOC: Social Networks and Job Hunting

It is amazing how rapidly technology is changing life, at home and in the workplace. I remember my first job searches. I combed the phone book for the names of firms and, hopefully, some information about what made the firm stand out from the rest. Beyond that, magazine searches through microfiche film seemed to be the technique that beared the most fruit. When it came to sharing with an employer, I had to rely on a resume and a cover letter, and a large portfolio full of physical samples of my work.

Today, an employer might find me by noticing an online presence that I maintain, without any thought to squiring a job. As in the real world, some people online are more highly sought after than others. In fact, employers are now seeking brand ambassadors online. As our text correctly states, "...thanks to modern technology, armed with little more than a video camera, laptop, and a cell phone, anyone can spread the word about products and brand experiences to thousands, even millions, of other consumers."

According to the Wall Street Journal, "...(Monster.com) plans to launch a program where companies can offer employees cash rewards for making referrals through (Facebook)." If people start making money for referring online friends, the trend could explode. We'll see what happens.