Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Week 1: EOC: Great Customer Service


A Great Customer Service That I Had

A few years ago, I purchased a Mac Pro, from the Apple Store at Town Square. It was a significant investment, and I was very frustrated that within a few days of owning it, it required service. I had installed the various programs I intended to use on the computer, including Pro Tools 10. But when I installed software for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface, which I intended to use with Pro Tools, Pro Tools immediately ceased to operate.

I believed the cause to be an issue with the drivers. Apple had recently released OS X Mountain Lion, and my computer was running it. It seemed likely to me that Avid, the company behind Pro Tools, and Focusrite were still catching up with patching their software to fix bugs with the new operating system. So I set up an appointment with a ‘genius’ at Apple.

I met the genius assigned to me and my issue. I forget his name, but I immediately felt he was a down-to-earth guy. He greeted me warmly and I explained the issue. He understood my decision to revert back to the previous operating system, OS 10 Lion. He even knew of others who worked in audio, and came to similar conclusions. So he went to work on my computer, right there at the counter. After a half an hour or so, which I spent lounging and browsing around the store, I was ready to go.

I got the computer back home, and again began the install process. This time I found that everything worked as I expected, and I was happy with myself that my hunch seemed correct. My opinion that Apple provided superior products was now bolstered by a similar opinion regarding the quality of their service. I will continue to support them by purchasing their products and services.